Spinach and ricotta cheese pie
INGREDIENTS (x 8 persons):
- - 2 disks of short crust pastry
- - 500 g fresh spinach
- - 250 g ricotta cheese
- - 2 large handfuls of grated Parmesan
- - 2 eggs
- - 1 handful of plain breadcrumbs
- - extra virgin olive oil
- - nutmeg
- - salt
- - ground pepper (optional)
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. Switch on the oven to 180°C.
- 2. Wash the spinach thoroughly and place them in a saucepan with a lid. Steam it, adjust with salt and let it cook until soft. Set the spinach aside until it cools down.
- 3. Remember to take out the crust pastry rolls from the fridge about half hour before using it. Let the rolls warm up at room temperature.
- 4. Then in a large bowl, first whisk one egg with a pinch of salt, then add the ricotta cheese, the spinach, a generous amount of freshly grated nutmeg, and pepper (which is optional). Mix it really well and then add some drops of olive oil.
- 5. Lay the first disk of crust pastry on a round baking pan covered with some butter and flour (to avoid sticking). Spread the mix evenly and cover everything with the second disk of crust pastry. With a fork make some holes in the surface and use the other egg to spread on the pastry surface with a brush (this will make the top get a golden colour while cooking).
- 6. Cook the dish in the hot oven until the pastry is golden. You can serve it either warm or cold.
TIPS & TRICKS :
- - A nice alternative is to use a puff pastry instead of the short crust pastry. The result will come out slightly different but as tasty as the original version.
- - Cut it in small squares and serve it warm as an aperitivo snack or at a party.