Polpette di Melanzane
INGREDIENTS (x 4 persons):
- - 2 large aubergines
- - 1 egg
- - 1 handful freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- - 1 handful Italian Pecorino romano cheese
- - 1 small handful of flat parsley, finely chopped
- - Salt and pepper (optional)
- - 2 tablespoons with breadcrumbs plus what is needed for the breaded meatballs
- - few mint leaves, finely chopped
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Wrap the aubergines in aluminum foil and place them on a baking sheet. Cook them wrapped up for about 45 minutes until they become soft.
- 2. Then, take them out from the oven, remove the foil and let them cool down. At this point, cut each aubergine in two halves and with a spoon, remove the inner pulp, scraping well all around the peel. Make sure you remove the seeds as they are bitter and can ruin the taste of the “polpette”.
- 3. Place the pulp in a strainer, which is set on a bowl. Cover with a plate that has a slightly smaller diameter than the strainer. Place a weight on the plate to create pressure on the aubergines and allow for the removal of excess liquid. Leave all of this in position for about 15 minutes.
- 4. Take the aubergines out of the strainer, chop them well with a knife, and put them into a large bowl. Add the egg, the grated cheese, parsley and mint, breadcrumbs to the veggies. Adjust with a pinch salt and pepper (optional).
- 5. Pour a slug of olive oil on the bottom of a baking tray that you covered with a baking paper earlier. Pick some of the mix with wet hands and mould a little ball which you will roll in the breadcrumbs.
- 6. Bake all the balls for about 40 minutes, but ensure turning the meatballs after 20 minutes. They need to get a golden and crusty surface. Serve them warm. Enjoy!
TIPS & TRICKS:
- - Due to the nature of the aubergine, the final mix can feel too soft to be moulded. In that case, add some extra breadcrumbs to the mix.
- - Be very careful when you turn the “polpette” in the oven because they can still be very soft and break easily.
- - These polpette are also very tasty when you add minced meat, such as beef.