Grilled Courgettes Parmigiana
INGREDIENTS (x 4 persons):
- - 4-5 long courgettes
- - 2 mozzarella, in small cubes
- - 3 round savoury tomatoes, roughly chopped into small cubes
- - extra virgin olive oil
- - salt/pepper
- - 3 large handfuls of grated Parmesan
- - 2 handfuls of basil leaves
- - oregano or thyme
- - 1 handful or plain breadcrumbs
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. Cut the courgettes in thin, long slices and grill them on a griddle non-sticky pan. On a separate plate, drizzle them with olive oil, salt and oregano. In the meanwhile heat up the oven (180°).
- 2. Take a deep baking plate, smear it with some olive oil.
- 3. Place the grilled courgettes, the tomato cubes, some mozzarella in rough, small cuts, a teaspoon of Parmesan, a pinch of salt and pepper, and 1-2 leaves of basil. Alternate the layers until filling up the tray (you generally need at least three layers of courgettes). Top up with breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, some olive oil, and oregano.
- 4. Firstly, bake the dish covered with an aluminium foil at high heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- 5. When the cheese is starting to melt, change the program into ‘grill’ mode and cook ‘au gratin’ until crusty. Serve them warm.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- - It is better to use a hard mozzarella. It works nicely with the local brand of cubes for pizza.
- - If you want to extra extra savour to your dish, try to substitute the sliced fresh tomatoes with a already made tomato sauce.