Crocchette di patate/Potatoes croquettes
INGREDIENTS (x 15 bites):
- - 500 g floury potatoes
- - 1 egg yolk, + 1 medium size egg (to fry)
- - ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- - salt/pepper
- - 50 g grated Parmesan
- - breadcrumbs
- - sunflower seed oil
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. Wash the potatoes and boil them, unpeeled, in salty water. It twill take around 15-20 min.
- 2. When the potatoes are cooked and slightly cooled down, their skin should be easy to peel.
- 3. Then mash them inside a bowl when they are still warm.
- 4. Add the other ingredients (salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg yolk and Parmesan) and mix it well with a wooden spoon.
- 5. In a separate dish, whisk the egg and set it apart.
- 6. Using your hands pick up a small amount of the mix and mould it with your palms to obtain a kind of cylindrical ‘croquette’ shape. Dip the croquette first into the egg, then in the breadcrumbs making sure the entire little cylinder is covered. Prepare all the croquettes before frying.
- 7. In the meanwhile, take a large frying pan and bring the sunflower oil to a boiling temperature (around 180°C). Fry the croquettes until golden on all sides and then place them on some kitchen paper to get rid of the excess oil. Serve them warm.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- - This is a dish loved by kids…. It is easy to prepare and diversify by adding some ham or cheese in the mix for a little tasty surprise!
- - For the potatoes, choose a good floury such as King Edwards or Cara.
- - If you want to have them crustier on the outside, cover them with a second layer of egg and breadcrumbs. Yummy!