‘Crema pasticcera’/Pastry cream
INGREDIENTS (x 6 persons)
- - 6 free range yolks eggs
- - 6 tablespoons plain flour ‘00’
- - 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- - 1 L whole milk
- - 1 organic lemon zests
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. Thoroughly whisk the yolk eggs with the sugar in a bowl until creamy and light.
- 2. Add the flour gently and stir little by little thereby avoiding any formation of clumps.
- 3. Pour the milk in the bowl, mix it well with the creamy base and grate the lemon skin into zests (only the yellow part please).
- 4. Cook it at low heat until it starts boiling, but make sure to continue stirring with a wooden spoon to avoid clotting.
- 5. Let it boil for few minutes. When it starts condensing, take it of the fire and let it cool down. You now have a really nice base of ‘crema pasticcera’.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- - This is an excellent base for the Italian traditional ‘crostata’ with fruits.
- - Alternatively, eat it without a pastry base with just fruits or just crumbled biscuits such as Italian ‘Amaretti’.