Crema Catalana or Catalan Cream is Spanish for the French dessert crème brulée . It is rich and creamy and really melts in the mouth.
INGREDIENTS (x 10 persons):
- - 150 g caster (granulated) sugar
- - 5 egg yolks
- - 30 g Corn starch
- - Cinnamon powder
- - Vanilla powder
- - Grated zest of 1 Lemon
- - 750 ml whole Milk
- - 1 L fresh single cream
- - salt
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. Take out a sauce pan and warm up the milk as well as the single cream.
- 2. Take another pan and whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Add the corn starch, a pinch of salt, the grated zest of the lemon, the cinnamon and the vanilla powder.
- 3. Then gently add the hot milk and cook gently at low heat while stirring until boil. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- 4. Filter and pour the mix in round cups as single portions.
- 5. Put in the fridge for not less than 3 hours.
- 6. Just before you serve cream, take it out from the fridge. It is the tradition in Cataluña to caramelize the surface of the cream by using a culinary torch and serve it.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- - If your kitchen equipment doesn’t include a spiral-shaped hot iron, don’t worry! Simply caramelize the sugar under the broiler of your oven.
- - An interesting option is to serve it with fresh fruits such as berries and a nice glass of sweet wine.