INGREDIENTS (x 4 persons):
- - 500 ml Italian tomato salsa
- - 1 white onion, finely chopped
- - 1 garlic clove
- - extra virgin olive oil
- - salt
- - a pinch of caster sugar
- - fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. In a deep saucepan sweat the onion and the garlic in plenty of olive oil.
- 2. Pour the tomato salsa in the pan, and adjust it with salt and a pinch of sugar. Let it cook slowly until creamy.
- 3. Finally, and optionally, add some basil.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- - This is the very basic recipe for a homemade tomato sauce. Quick and easy. The sauce can be used and added to many other recipes, such as Parmigiana or pasta in the oven.
- - A very nice combination of this sauce is with pasta (any kind), a generous amount of grated parmesan, and a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil. Kids will love it!
- - If you do not find a good Italian salsa brand (eg Cirio, Mutti) you can make the sauce by using ‘San Marzano’ tomatoes in cans, roughly chopped. At the end, finely get a cream with an electronic mixer.