Fennel and potato soup with pumpkin seeds and crispy Speck
INGREDIENTS (x 8 persons):
- - 3 medium-sized fennels
- - 600 g medium-sized yellow potatoes
- - 2 shallots, finely chopped
- - extra virgin olive oil
- - 1 vegetable stock cube
- - salt/black pepper
- - 4 slices of Italian Speck ham
- - 4 teaspoons of pumpkin seeds
WHAT TO DO:
- 1. Start by roughly chopping the vegetables.
- 2. In a large, deep saucepan, stew the chopped shallots in olive oil.
- 3. Then add the vegetables, the stock cube and cover with water.
- 4. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 40 minutes until the fennels and the potatoes get tender.
- 5. Make a purée out of it using a blender and add the seasoning.
- 6. In the meanwhile, put a tablespoon of olive oil in a non-sticky pan and deep fry the speck quickly until crispy, thinly cut in small stripes.
- 7. Serve the soup, add a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper, a few pieces of speck, and some pumpkin seeds. Yummy!
TIPS & TRICKS:
- - If you want to get to a more creamy final result, you can consider adding a teaspoon of single cream or plain yogurt in each dish.
- - Alternatively, this dish can be served with bacon instead of speck.